treating pneumonia among other things

I was diagnosed with TB and HIV in January of this year. I was started on TB therapy and ARVs immediately (CD4 count of 4). Stopped ARVS after 2 weeks due to bad reactions. Started ARVs again after two months of TB treatment.

My CD4 count after 6 weeks of ARV treatment was 24 (up from 4). At 3 months it was up to 67 and viral load was around 2,400 copies (sorry, I don't know what it was before).

My doctor said that I was heading in the right direction and I should continue with the current ARVs (stocrin and combivir). I'll test CD4/viral load again at 6 months. Do you agree these are good enough results?

My TB treatment seems to be going well, but around the 6 month mark of treatment I came down with bad pneumonia. My doctor first treated me with Zinnat and then put me on 2 different antibiotics (Avelon? and Centriquil? sorry, I don't have the prescription here with me.) I am concerned because after 2 weeks of treatment for pneumonia, I am feeling generally much better, but I still cough quite a bit. Especially at night. NOte that I was only really sick for about 3 days. AFter that, I was able to go to work and do regular activities.

I had a chest x-ray done after 1 week of pneumonia treatment and it showed a lot of pneumonia still. That is when he put me on the 2 antibiotics. My doctor said he would just listen to my chest after the next 1 week of treatment, to avoid over-exposure to xrays. Is that good enough? Is xray exposure a concern? How long should I be on treatment for pneumonia? Shouldn't I take antibiotics past the point of when my symptoms end, i.e. I no longer have a cough?

Finally, I had been using Septrin for prophylaxis for a short while, but I reacted to the sulpha drug and my doctor said to stop using it. He hasn't given me any other antibiotic for prophylaxis and I think I should be using something. Couldn't my pneumonia have been prevented if I'd been using something for prophylaxis? What could I use instead of septrin?

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it and your website has already helped me a lot.

If you have a sensitivity to sulfa often Dapsone will still work to prevent pneumocystis pneumonia. Your blood test results are indeed encouraging though if viral load doesn't clearly drop further I would ask if a protease inhibitor boosted with ritonavir is an option for you. Pneumonia can often take a while to clear up both clinically and on X-ray. Ideally a specific germ can be identified from sputum or bronchoscopy samples in order to use the best antibiotic to match the germ. For standard types of bacterial pneumonia treatment for 1-2 weeks suffices. Some AIDS-related pneumonias (such as from atypical mycobacteria/fungus) require long term therapy which is why identifying the organisism can be crucial if things are not clearing up. KH

Having saliva put on the penis
What is Merca ? Something to do with the skin ???