Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What case reports
Jul 14, 2006

Hi, I would like to ask a brief question of your answer to a previous question in this board. You cite in the answer: "a. Over 99.5% of people will have acquired anti-HIV antibodies (and have a positive standard test) within 6 months of an exposure. For some people who received post-exposure prophylaxis, some feel testing should be done out to 12 months, as the treatment may delay seroconversion. There are a number of case reports of people who never become positive. If there is some concern of HIV infection, other tests (CD4 counts and viral load) should be done to figure it out." link here to the original post: http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SideEffects/Archive/Testing/Q155560.html

My question concers this "case reports" which you say have developed antibodies to HIV. Do you mean by these case reports certain articles in the internet that describe few African persons that were infected with an atypical HIV strain and had impaired immune systems (low CD4 count) that weren't able to develop antibodies ? HIV was detected by antigen capture in these reports.

Or do mean people in late stage of HIV disease, of whom there are numerous reports of not developing antibodies.

The reason I'm asking this is that your answer may trouble the Worried Well and frankly needs some clarification.

Thank you for your answer.

Response from Dr. Conway

I am referring to an exceedingly small number of individuals who are carrying HIV but do not have an antibody response to it that is detectable by conventional tests. This is a small group of people and the virus is always easily detected by conventional tests such as viral load assays.

Previous
LIPITOR & MUSCLE PAIN
Next
Having saliva put on the penis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.