LIPITOR & MUSCLE PAIN

My husband has been on lipitor for several years and has told his doctor about the severe muscle cramping and pain he has constantly. The doctor does not feel the pain is from the meds. But my husband needs to get up several times a night to walk off the muscle spasms that he is having. Also to see him walk is very sad, as he can hardly get around. He is only 59 years old and was very active prior to this muscle problem. Do you feel that the lipitor could cause such a serious reaction, and how do I get the doctor to acknowledge that this is indeed in need of further testing?

Response from Dr. Conway

The key here is to identify the source of his pain (skin, muscle, joints, nerves). Lipitor is clearly associated with muscle pains, and there is a need to make sure that he is not experiencing an inflammation of the muscles as a specific cause of his pain. Beyond this, there are many other causes of muscle pains and the pain may relate to something other than muscles. All of this can be addressed with simple blood tests and some more involved testing (if needed) to look at the source of the pain. Hopefully, this will help address the outstanding issues and lead to a specific diagnosis and a specific course of action.

I THINK THIS IS ALSO A SIDE EFFECT
What case reports