Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

signs and symptoms of hepatitis B and the effective treatment
Jul 5, 2006

ok...thank you Dr.Conway,I hope you'll not be annoyed. I had another question. Well,so how long will it be to get immunity after vaccination? What would be the best treatment of hepatitis B virus? Is it true that even if you are treated your still caring the disease on your blood? and so every time you will undergo the test still they foud out that you had once hepatitis B virus? Is there any possible test to know when where or how you acquired the disease [hepatitis B virus]? If that so what is the test? Can you give me the possible way of treating that case. My friend has now undergone testing again to double check she just got here from Dubai? Thanks and I'm looking forward for your reliable answer.

Response from Dr. Conway

It may take a month or so after you begin the immunization sequence for HBV to get measurable immunity, although you should still get the 3 injections at month 0, 1 and 6. If treatment is ever needed, many drugs are now available, such as lamivudine, adefovir, tenofovir and entecavir. The drugs may help control the virus and enhance the ability of the body's immune system to control the virus, but it will not eliminate it from the body. Tests can be done (such as the measurement of antibodies to the core protein of HBV, or HBcAb) that will differentiate whether you have acquired immunity to the virus through a vaccine or natural infection. In fact, if you have evidence of the virus itself or any other antibody than HBsAb, it confirms natural infection rather than immunity due to vaccination. Finally, treatment is not always needed, as the body often handles the virus on its own or does not appear to be affected by the virus. Approaches to HBV infection must be individualized and it is important for you and your friend to go over all the specifics of your case with an expert in the field.

Previous
Another Cocaine/Mauijuana False Positive
Next
Enlarged Spleen.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.