status + or -

Hi doc, 8 weeks before I discovered my girl friend had syphilis (1 over 32) so I got advance treatment for syphilis. After 8 weeks, she got checked for HIV and it was negative. Can you please tell me about my risk if she is in window period? There is no exposure since 8 weeks. What she should do? Is more testing warranted?

Response from Dr. Conway

If there is a possibility that she acquired HIV at the same time she got syphilis (co-transmission being fairly common), she should consider having an additional test of viral load or DNA PCR (whatever is available to test for the virus directly rather than testing for antibodies to the virus). If anyone had sexual contact with her at the time she had jsut been infected, this carries with it a higher risk of HIV transmission, due to the very high viral load she would have had at the time. If you are concerned about your own status, I woud start with having an HIV antibody test done and then take it from there based on your girfriend's test results.

Insertive risk
Thrush Part II