Massive heartburn

I am 32 year old male HIV positive for 7 years and have persistent and sometimes severe heartburn. I find that when it occurs there is a burning in my oesophagus as well as pain around my general heart area and dizziness and lightheadedness. I am on Sustiva and Truvada (just started) - could these drugs be causing it ie either the heartburn or heart problems?

I also have mild cerebral palsy - which my GP says couls be adding to the oesophageal reflux and he has referred me to see a cardiologist also. Is this necessary (I am not rich) or could I just change my drug regimen - ie are there any associated heart problems associated with Sustiva / Truvada and if so what would I change to?

Thanking yyou in advance Dr Henry

Peter

Have you been checked for H pyloi infection of the stomach ( a frequent cause of heartburn and treatable). Strong anti-acid drugs such as H2-blcokers or proton pump inhibitors can be used with your HIV regimen. Although one of your current HIV meds could be contributing (such as the tenofovir in the Truvada) I am not confident that switching meds would necessarily clearly improve the heart burn (other drugs have their own problems). For severe heartburn often an endoscopy would be done to look at the esophagus to make the most precise diagnosis possible (so treatment can be optimized). Those procedures are the standard of care for severe heartburn so are usually covered by insurance. KH

KS Advice Follow Up
Side effects of the KALETRA / TRIVIZIR combination