Neuropathy??

I just came home from the emergency room at the hospital. I have gone to my HIV specialist and he did not think it was HIV related. My pain is so intense in my left leg coming from the nerve. The doctor in the emergency room said that it could be neuropathy from my meds or an injury. He said that he has not seen anything like this pain, but for it to continue intense for over two months is unusual for a sport injury. He wants me to go to a neorologist now. Can the neourolgist know if it is drug related?? The x ray and all my labs came back fine. My friends said that he knows people who had severe neoropathy from videx, but tended to be more in the feet. All I know is that the pain is more often and intense now. Any more ideas for help??

nerve spasm May 22, 2006

I am on Viread, Viramune, and Videx. I have severe nerve spasm in one leg, near my knee. I tend to have it a couple of times a day, some days none. It is intense pain. I have it at least 5 days/wk.What can be causing this??

Pain localized to the knee area as you describe would be unlikely due to HIV or one of your medications but more likely due to local nerve presssure, tendon, muscle, vaccular, or joint condition. An evaluation by your HIV specialist and/or neurologist or rheumatologist is recommended to narrow the possibilities and to devise a diagnostic and treatment plan. KH

Response from Dr. Conway

I agree with Dr. Henry's answer, as the pain you describe does not really sound like neuropathy. To me, the key at this point is to see the neurologist as they can do specific tests to establish the origin of the pain and begin specific treatment for it. If it does, in fact, turn out to be an atypical presentation of neuropathy, then you can consider substituting the Videx in your regimen for an agent that is not associated with neuropathy and then even going on some medication (such as gabapentin) that has previously been shown to be effective for neuropathic pain. In the meantime, I would strongly encourage you to stay away from addictive narcotic analgesics that may bring temporary relief, but which may later cause long-term problems with habituation and addiction while no longer controlling your pain.

Good luck with this difficult problem.

AIDS-Defining Afflictions
Fear of having HIv