Slight Prolonged Itching

Hi. I just started meds (Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir) about 6 weeks ago, beginning CDR4 was 172, VL was 52,000. Also on biaxin and ethambutol for non-dessiminated MAC discovered during a colonoscopy. Also, after desensitization, on Bactrim. For a very long time now I have experienced some slight itching on my face, and on my upper chest. Occasionally there are very faint skin eruptions, but hardly noticeable. What is likely to be the cause of this? I had a very severe reaction to Bactrim when I tried it, but have been on it now for over 2 weeks at full strength; benadryl definitely makes the itching stop. But in the middle of the night, I will wake up to find myself scratching my cheeks, in reaction to the itching. Could this be a staph infection, or is it more likely a drug reaction? Thanks

The rash/itching you describe could be related to a drug sensitivity or to other conditions such as immune reconstitution, flare-ups of follicilitis or seborrhea, or other conditions. HIV specialists and dermatologists are often helpful for the evaluation and improved treatment of skin problems like you describe. KH

Steriods
AIDS-Defining Afflictions