truvada side effects

Dear Doctor,

My doctor recommended I take Truvada (due to me burping a lot when taking Combivir ). I would like to know what side effects Truvada has - long term and short term. My CD4 is 460. My viral load is <50. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Conway

Truvada is made up of 2 components: tenofovir and emtricitabine. The emtricitabine is much like the lamivudine part of the Combivir. If you tolerate one, you tolerate the other, and the side effect profile is really good to begin with. The tenofovir is well tolerated in the short-term. In the longer term, some still have concerns about kidney toxicity, although this only seems to apply if you are taking other medications that can affect your kidneys, or if you have renal disease to begin with. Also, there is some concern that tenofovir may cause some issues with decreases in bone density, so this may need to be monitored over time.

RASH on feet, back arms - Sustiva?
HIV pos & breaking out with pimples on my back and stomach