RASH on feet, back arms - Sustiva?

Hi, Newly diagnosed, with CD4 of 379 and VL of 89K (wow new terms and meanings for me). I immediately was put on Truvada and Sustiva. About 9-10 days later I noticed spots/red marks on my feet (I assumed it was from not wearing socks with my dress shoes). The next day when I got out of the shower I freaked when I noticed my back was full of a rash. Careful examination showed there was also some (not so noticeable) on my arms and chest. Now my doctor wants to stop my treatment. I want to continue. Is this condition temporary? I had just gotten over the sweats at night and burning sensation. I was hoping I was normalizing. ???

Response from Dr. Conway

The rash you describe as well as its timing are certainly consistent with a side effect of Sustiva. If the rash is spreading, it may be better to stop the treatment temporarily and then restart (once the rash has cleared) with another drug (perhaps Kaletra or Reyataz along with the Truvada) that does not have rash as a side effect. The decision to stop or continue Sustiva in the face of a rash is made on an individual basis. However, if the rash is spreading to over 50% of your doby, if it involves the lining of your mouth, if there is blistering or if there are systemic symptoms, the Sustiva should be stopped. If you are getting close to any of these, you need to seriously think about stoppng (as your doc is advising you to do), knowing that other effective options exist for you...

Painful cramping with diarrhea
truvada side effects