pi, cholesterol

Hello, I am a 30 y/o male HIV+ for 9 years, began treatment last year with cd4 of 8 and vl >750000. Last labs cd4 364 (down from last month 450) and vl undetectable. Triglycerides 324, LDL 41 Hdl 19. On Kaletra and Truvada. What would you reccomend? How high is 324? Also had a +ppd (no active disease) so on isoniazid. Have been on fish oil for last month and a half or so but have read negative info about immune suppresion. Or Niacin (bad for liver?) Not real sure how worried I should be, last year didn't care if I lived, Now have found Many reasons to want to live a long life, Trying to do the best thing for long term health. Thank you for your answer.

Your cholesterol levels (both good and bad forms) are low so the focus for lipid management is the modest elevation in triglycerides which are of only modest concern. Exercise and diet may help some. At some point a switch off the Kaletra to perhaps boosted atazanavir might be an option which may result in a decrease in the triglyceride levels (depends on your treatment/resistance history to some degree). Fibrates are used to decrease triglyceride levels with modest succcess and reasonable safety. KH

DDI, D4T and Viracept
Circular blotches