high blood pressure a PI based side effect?

Is high blood pressure a direct result of NNRTI or PI based HAART? My fiance, with undetectable HIV since 1983, on a recent new HAART switch regime: (Reyataz, Combivir, Norvir for two months) from Sustiva and Combivir, (two years) and PI based before that has been registering high blood pressure for a few months now. He does take medication for asthma, and infuses with Factor 8 products for Hemophilia. He has Hepatitis C with only mild splenomegaly manifesting. We are aware that all of these medications/conditions can cause high blood presuure, let alone the daily stress of our lives with these challenges. We're working on improving this particular aspect of his health right now, and wonder about high blood pressure medications that will work with Reyataz/Combivir/Combivir? His cholesterol, triglyceride numbers, and diet and exercise are great. Thank you for your help, and best health to you! Colleen

There has been some soft data suggesting some links between elevated blood pressure and for example protease inhibitors. Often that link involves the older protease inhibitors so data is more limited with atazanavir-based regimens. High blood pressure is common in the general population and becomes more common with age so it is hard to pin an increased blood pressure on a particular medication. The current HIV regimen has not been identified as having an excess of elevated blood pressure to my knowledge and I have numerous patients on it with no obvious blood pressure problems. KH

Pain in Legs...
Cholestrol