Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

KS In the Lungs
Jun 15, 2006

I was diagnosed HIV Positive in the end of February 2006 while hospitalized with PCP and A.R.D.S. After being discharged for two weeks I was readmitted to the hospital due to a fever and a poor oxygen saturation level. The pulmonary doctor ordered X-Rays, MRI and a CAT scan. What the doctor came up with was I have suspect Pulmonary Embolisms in my lungs. However, since that time I have developed several lesions on my leg and shoulders that my Infectious Disease doctor thinks could be KS and is monitoring. I think he wants to see if my immune system will kick in and take care of the external KS lesions since starting my HAART Regime. I did not know KS could also be internal. I wanted to know if KS in the lungs may look the same as a Pulmonary Embolism in an X-Ray, MRI or CAT scan. Could there be a possibility that I do not have Pulmonary Embolisms but have KS in my lungs? I am not sure if KS would even show in an X-Ray, MRI or CAT scan. If so I assume I need to follow up with my Infectious Disease doctor and an Oncologist to run labs to confirm?

Response from Dr. Henry

KS in the lungs is usually/often diagnosed with a biopsy or direct visualization during bronchoscopy. The X-ray findings may not be very specific. KH

Previous
Valcyte (Ganciclovir), Zerit & Neuropathy?
Next
Pain in Legs...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.