systemic candida

Thank you for answering my question. I have been HIV+ for 3 years. My viral load has been undetectable since I started my meds in May 2003, (combivir/viramune) and my T-cell count was 247 in May 2006. I had a flu that manifested itself in the form of a sinus infection and I took first a ZPAK and then a course of amoxicillin. This, I believe, caused a candida infection. I told my doctor and was given Diflucan, which isn't working. I believe my body is out of balance. First what are natural things I can do to avoid candida and second what are some other medications for systemic candida. Thanks for your help!

Use of antibiotics can promote growth of yeast in some situations and yeast/fungi can cause sinus infections in some patients. Diflucan is generally effective against Candida infections if not over-used. Colonization with normal bacteria (such as found in some yogurt) can ward off yeast infections. Other antifungal drugs are available such as ketoconazole, itraconazole, voriconazole, and amphtotericin but they are best reservd for treatment of specificly identified fungal infections. KH

neuropthy
scars on both arms only