Can scalp hair loss be related the lipoatrophy?

Hello doctor, Is there any known relationship between hair loss and lipoatrophy? My thought is that perhaps there is not the normal amount of fat surrounding the hair follicles; so it is easier to fall out. I have moderate lipo. and it has affected me pretty much from head to toe. Have been on regimen since 1998 that has included Epivir (both individually and in Abacavir/Epzicom forms). Hair loss did not start until 2003. Doc. does not think it related to Epivir. So, doc. will not change me to another med. Says hair loss more common in women as they age. Any thoughts? I am at a loss...Thanks for your help and this website.

I have cared for a modest number of patients whose hair loss seemed linked to 3TC (stabilized or improved when switched to alternative medication). I have not seen any solid data clearly linking hair loss due to a particular drug to any of the manifestations of the lipodysophy seen in the setting of HIV treatment (other than perhaps with indinavir which n my own experience caused some hair/nail problems in a small minority of patients). KH

Messy Bathroom Breaks
Question?