mouth sores

Hi Doctor Thanks for your informative site. I am a 38 year old male who has been positive 5 years. I have been on sustiva and truvada with good success. CD4 is 450 and still climbing. The reason for my post is that I have had over the last several days pain on the roof of my mouth(like a pizza burn) and today developed in the middle of my tongue a raised blister that is quite painful. Is this a side effect of my medication? Is HIV responsible? If not, any other ideas as it is painful and if there is something i can do about would love too. Thanks again Larry

The tongue/moth sore you describe would be unlikely to be due to either one of your HIV Medications or HIV itself. Apthous ulcers,herpes simplex, other infections, chemical or heat injury and other conditions can cause a painful sore ont he tongue/roof of mouth. Relief can often be provided by a topical anesthetic plus someimes a topical steroid after you have been evaluated by your HIV specialist or ENT specialist. KH

hairloss and reyataz
Restarting Viracept/Combivir