side effects

With these new combinations being developed would you say that side effects like humps on the back, lipo, etc are now a thing of the past. I am considering starting meds soon and I am a bit anxious about it.

Though long term data with the newer drugs and regimens are generally lacking, it is my impression that we are seeing less fat distribution problems in patients who are not taking thymidine analogues (such as D4T and AZT) long term and/or who are using some of the newer drugs as a part of their antiretroviral combination therapy. Aging, CD4 nadir, individual genetics, diet, exercise, time with HIV and other non-drug related factors appear to influence fat issues as well so we still are seeing fat-related problems. The good news is that many of the newer regimens are more effective and better tolerated resulting in improved outcomes and more often satisfied patients.

Lipodystrophy Without Meds
hairloss and reyataz