New kaletra formulation and increased diarrhea-followup

Hi Doc, about this person's concern, I recently started Kaletra with Epzicom & Truvada (one of which is a placebo) and every night I take 6 pills with Sugar Cane Juice (Yoga branch). When I dont take it with the sugar cane juice the next day i go to the restroom more often and have stomach problems. It seems to me that taking it with Sugar Cane Juice I don't have any problems. I did this after reading the following article: http://www.outinchicago.com/arts/hivaids.asp

HIV & You: What Sugar Cane Can Do Bjorn Falck Madsen Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Maybe our friend could try doing this as well

I know the new formula of kaletra is supposed to reduce the GI side effects associated with it. I am not sure exactly what is going on with me, but when I stop the kaletra for a couple of days( I know- not a good idea), the diarrhea goes away. On the old formula, I had diarrhea once in awhile, however I am now having it daily and immodium is not working like it did. I tried lomotil in the past and had difficulties driving safely.

Any ideas ? Have you heard of anyone having worse diarrhea with the new formula ? I do take AZT and Viread as well. VL is undetectable and last CD4 was 1150.

Yes, a minority of my patients have reportd an increase in GI problems with the new "improved" Kaletra. Since I believe the old Kaletra will soon be unavailable then a switch to an alternative drug (a boosted PI such as with atazanavir, fosamprenavir, or saquinavir as well as a Sustiva NNRTI option)might warrant consideration. Sometimes taking with food, fiber tablets, or calcium supplements might help the loose stools in some patients. KH

Thanks for posting that suggestion. I hadn't heard of that but will keep my eyes/ears open for more on that tactic. KH

Why should I care???
I wonder about Lipodystrophy