PEP

I recently began postexposure prophylaxis after being exposed to HIV via Oral Sex (I have sensitive gums, and had a root canal within 24 hours of the incident). I've been assured there is a very low chance I contracted HIV but this is a precaution my doctor recommended.

While my physician was clear that the side-effects were strong I never imagined that I would feel nausea at EVERY moment of the day. Its making work, sleep, and life more complicated than I ever imagined. I vomit every morning and gag throughout the day whether it be a reaction to a smell or emotion. I never had any type of stomach problems prior to my PEP treatment.

Is this going to get better, or worse? Is there something I can take aside from chewable capsules/pepto?

Thank you so much your Q&A has been a big help to me over the last week.

Day 8 New York

You don't mention which HIV regimen you are taking-there are some which have less GI side effects than others. For most, the GI side effects (such as nausea) tapers (decreases) over the first several weeks. There are a number of effective anti-nausea medications that are available to help the nausea and allow for patients to endure the problem until either it has diminished or in the case of PEP when day 28 has been reached. KH

about pain
Lipidystophy + topomax