New kaletra formulation and increased diarrhea

I know the new formula of kaletra is supposed to reduce the GI side effects associated with it. I am not sure exactly what is going on with me, but when I stop the kaletra for a couple of days( I know- not a good idea), the diarrhea goes away. On the old formula, I had diarrhea once in awhile, however I am now having it daily and immodium is not working like it did. I tried lomotil in the past and had difficulties driving safely.

Any ideas ? Have you heard of anyone having worse diarrhea with the new formula ? I do take AZT and Viread as well. VL is undetectable and last CD4 was 1150.

Yes, a minority of my patients have reportd an increase in GI problems with the new "improved" Kaletra. Since I believe the old Kaletra will soon be unavailable then a switch to an alternative drug (a boosted PI such as with atazanavir, fosamprenavir, or saquinavir as well as a Sustiva NNRTI option)might warrant consideration. Sometimes taking with food, fiber tablets, or calcium supplements might help the loose stools in some patients. KH

ks in gi tract
PEP long term effects vs. Risk