Stopping Combivir?

Hi, I've been taking Combivir and Stocrin since January 2002(caught in the process of seroconversion) and since then, CD4s around 700 and undetectable viral load. I am aware of the zivodine component of Combivir being related with fat changes. Could I change it to another one without risking my good condition? If so, whic one would you recomend? Thank you for you answer.

Response from Dr. Conway

With an undetectable viral load, you can easily change a single drug in the regimen without compromising the efficacy of the treatment. This is especially true in your case, where you have only ever been on one regimen and it has always worked.

If you change the Combivir to one of the other combination pills of abacavir/lamivudine (Kivexa in Canada, Epzicom elsewhere) or tenofovir/emtricitabine (Truvada), you will remain on an effective regimen while going off the zidovudine. You will also be able to take all of your pills once a day.

Congratulations on your response to therapy and good luck going forward.

long term effect of HIV meds
can u get hiv meds in supporitory form