Skin Problem

HI I would like to introduce myself I've been married for 9 years and just found out 2 months ago that my husband who is a physician is HIV +, actually he was hospitalized with and Aids related illness, I am negitive after testing 4 months post last encounter. We'll my question is He just got his labs back the 1st one since starting the truvada and sustiva combo. Prior to meds his numbers were VL 147000 and CD4 66, %5, Now after 2 months of meds his VL undetectable , CD4 118, %7. He was very healthy before, now he has skin irritation and rash , it worsen's at night and we are putting some topical anti fungal and steriod combo's on it as well as daily doses of antihistamines. Is his trend normal for somebody newly diagnosed with HIV disease? Do you think the rash can be from the meds or is it that his body is maybe fighting the infection and hs immune system is making a come back. Not sure. But I appreciate your help. Lee

Skin disorders are common in persons with HIV/AIDS. Some HIV drugs (such as Sustiva) can cause skin rashes while improvement in the immune system function on HIV meds can also trigger skin reactions (part of the spectrum of immune reconstitution syndrome). Often to sort out the most likely underlying cause (and to better target treatment) a referral to a dermatologist can be very helpful. KH

acne
swelling of hands and feet