Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
   
Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment
           
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Restarting Meds after stopping for leg pain
Apr 30, 2006

Hello Doctors, I'm in a blinded study and I'm on Sustiva and either Truvada or Epzicom. During week 2 I started having myalgia in my legs. This pain became progressively worse over the next 7 days to the point that I was only sleeping 2 hours a night and pain medication would only dull the hurting. A decision was made to stop meds for now. Sustiva was stopped 2 days ago and Epzicom/Truvada (I'm in a study and one of those is a placebo) were stopped 28 hours ago. My pain level has already decreased from extreme to little pain most of the time and moderate pain from time to time, especially after laying still or sleeping.

My fear on restarting the same regime in a blinded study is the possibility of being on the Epzicom. In my reading over the past couple of days I have found data that says myalgia is reported as a symptom in 33% of the cases of hypersensitivity reactions to abacavir. It also said that two or more symptoms were reported in 95% of the cases, leaving only one symptom reported in 5% of the cases. The leg pain started in week 2 and the intensity and severity of the pain increased daily. It is my understanding that hypersensitivity reactions usually start at some level and continue to get worse until the meds are stopped. The document that I read said that if abacavir is stopped that it should never be restarted unless a hypersensitivity reaction can be definately ruled out. If there is any possibility that a hypersensitivity reaction occurred then the medication should not be restarted. Since I'm in a blinded study I don't know if I"m on Epzicom or Truvada. I know that what I experienced didn't follow the normal hypersensitivity reaction, but with what I had, can there be a certainty that it was not a hypersensitivity reaction? Would I be totally out of line in asking that the study be unblinded to insure my safety on this issue? Or am I just being a worry wart? Thanks! David in St. Louis

Response from Dr. Henry

Your concern is very reasonable. You need to discuss with the study nurse/physician. Prudence and common sense would generally lead to a recommendation to request unblinding-if you were on Epzicom then it should not be restarted. If you were not on it then you could restart the same meds possibly and know that you have not experienced the abacavir hypersensitivity reaction. KH



Previous
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ANSWER...
Next
I am - he is +

  
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS


 
Advertisement



Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint

Advertisement