Tenofovir and Alopecia

Esteemed doctor,

I've been HIV-positive for years, with good response to therapy.

Recently, my doctor prescribed tenofovir to add to stavudine and nevirapine instead of lamivudine, in order to fight against lamivudine-resistant hepatitis-B.

Two months later I lost all my hair, so she decided to withdraw the new drug, with the result of total recovery of my hair.

Is this normal? Has this side effect already been described with tenofovir?

Thank you in advance.

María.

I have had only several patients (out of > 100 on tenofovir) link hair loss to tenofovir. It sometimes is hard to link one drug to the problem. 3TC and FTC also seem to cause hair loss in a small percentage of patients (< 2-5%). KH

Thank You For Your Promptness
medication side effect