Early HIV-should I even be taking meds?

Hi Guys, I REALLY need some good advice here! I was diagnosed with HIV in October 2005. My viral load was 56,000 and my CD4 count was 767. After taking Sustiva and Truvada for three months I've been undectable and got my CD4 up to 946 within the first month on meds. Unfortunately I can't tolerate the meds anymore since I've returned to work. My doctor tried Truvada and Viramune too and they just made me get headaches and fatigued (not to mention future liver damage I would suspect). Should I really be on any HIV meds at all? And if I go off of them will I be able to stay healthy without meds as long as I take care of myself?

Thank you for your time!

I generally don't treat HIV infected persons with a CD4 count >> 350 who are asymptomatic. If your HIV meds are causing you side effects and are not likely preventing HIV-related disease (which is uncommon if you have a high CD4 count) then stopping meds is reasonable to discuss. Stopping meds is not as simple as it sounds since the meds with the long duration of action (NNRTIs like Sustiva or Viramune) generally should not be stopped at the same time as the other medications in the combination (either stop perhaps a week or more before or take a boosted PI for 1-2 weeks after stopping all the meds--there are a number of empiric ways to approach that issue). KH

Med change to prevent Lipo?
I MUST beg to differ with you Dr. Henry on the "toxicity issue", but...!