How long really

After HIV exposure, I got Combivir & Stocrin with 72hrs. How long do I need to take these drugs? The doctor who gave me these drugs said I must take them for one week & I am seeking for info on these drugs, and people are saying 28 days, so how long do I need to take these drugs?

Response from Dr. Conway

In tyring to prevent HIV infection from occurrig after an exposure, it is recommended that the drugs be started as soon as possible after the exposure, and then be continued for up to 28 days. The keys are to begin as soon as possible and take them for at least 7 days. it is not completely clear whether there is an absolute need to continue the full 28 days, but most woudl recommend that you try to do so, especially if the start of treatment was delayed. However, if the are too many side effects or some other reason to stop, then many would recommend that you do so.

viramune/combivir
confused about risks