post-pep breathlessness

Hi Doctor:

I am the 19 year old student who was potentially exposed to HIV From his positive boy friend and followed up with 72 hr post exposure PEP On Combivir. 5 months after my exposure,(I have tested negative) I am having symptoms where I am finding it difficult to breathe. I am asthmatic, but this has nothing to do with my asthma, since my regular inhalers, like advair or ventolin haven't helped relieve these symptoms. I have visited my family physician and after listening to my lungs he couldnt hear any wheezing and told me to switch from advair to pulmicort. Mind you he was watching out for asthma since I went for a refill of ventolin, and he told me I shouldnt be needing ventolin with advair.

I am still having difficulty breathing, even after the switch. It's like I can't breathe in all the way, I have no difficulty breathing out. Here is the catch, this doesn't happen all the time, only on some days, then I feel sluggish and fatigued.

Does this sound related to the combivir treatment? Possibly pneumonia involving a fungal infection? The white buildup on my tongue has also thickened, and reappears during the course of the day, then just the next morning. When running, I spit a lot and my cough is real dry.

Response from Dr. Conway

I am pleased to hear that your antibody test result 5 months after being potentially exposed to the virus is negative. This essentially rules out that you became infected from this exposure. Your respiratory sympotms are real and need to be investigated. However, they do not relate to HIV infection (as long as you did not have another exposure to the virus in the past 5 months). Also, they do not relate to the Combivir you took a number of months ago.

I would add that it is quite common for people who take Pulmicort to get a whitish coat on their tongue, so it is necessary to rinse out your mouth after each inhalation. I hope this helps.

how long?
sustiva - success with lower dose?