Kidney stones AND Gout

I have been HIV+ since December, 1996 and was diagnozed with AIDS in 2000. I have been on the cocktail in one form or the other right from the start. I have recently, 1 year, switched my cocktail to: Videx EC, Norvir, Epivir and Reyataz. Ever since this last switch I have very elevated levels of uric acid in my bloodwork which has resulted in very painful episodes of gout. But the final straw now is that I have an excruiting kidney stone now and I'm going in for surgery tomorrow morning to help get it out. My question is why does my Doctor ignore me and my cries of pain and do nothing about finding something that will help me? I feel that the only way I can alliviate the EXTREME pain of the gout and the kidney stone is to stop taking my meds all together. Why should I continue putting into my body these harmful chemicals which are causing me So much pain and my Doctors just ignore me? They say, "well you seem to be doing good on this regemin, your t-cells are good and your virus is undetectable, see you in 3 months". Can you help me open their eyes?

Videx among some of the HIV drugs you are taking can mist likely increase uric acid levels. Allopurinol can be useful once an attack is over to decrease uric acid levels and decrease changes for further attacks. Depending on your treatment history/resistance picture there often is some alternative to Videx that could be considered and discussed with your HIV specialist. KH

increased cd
Confusion about lipids