The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Special dietary changes
Apr 19, 2006

Knowing that there are many different physiological (adverse)responses to the slue of medications on the market. Are there many resources available which address the issue of dietary restrictions and the HIV+ individual? Diets which will help arrest the nausea/ diarrhea issues etc.(ie. take 'this med' with food, and 'that med' without food, and what types of food are best to keep immune response and host resistance at the best possible level to keep the progression of HIV in check? Is it necessary to modify the RDA's set out for the "typical person"? or for instance choosing CHO/ protein dense, high/low kcal diets?

Response from Dr. Henry

Good question. I am unaware of any good data that strongly supports/documents any type of diet for supporting the immune system and/or minimizing side effects of therapy that can be strongly recommended. An older interesting reference on use of diet supplements was Healing HIV by Jon Kaiser. Every person has unique features regarding both general diet needs (looking at risk for diabetes, hypertention, metabolic syndrome and other issues) and side effects from a given HIV regimen (the Body and other resources have resources on GI issues related to HIV infection and its treatment).Many HIV clinics have dieticians available to evaluate and advise HIV+ patients on how to optimize their diet. KH

How long before meds
Answer all this?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint