Diet pills,(Propolene), and HIV

I am a 51 year old female on combivir and susutiva for 3 years with an undectable viral load. I have in the past several months been gaining abdominal weight to the point have lost feminine curves and look pregnant. If I relax my muscles my belly is almost farther out than my breasts. Within 3 months I now can't even button my jeans. I have ordered the diet pill Propolene but have not yet taken it. Will it in any way alter the undetectable status of the virus?

There is no reason to expect that the ingredient of propolene (" a natural fiber") would interfere with the activity of Combivir/Sustiva. That being said there is really no good clinical data supporting the claims that propolene works for weight loss (in fact the FCC has warned the manufacturer about false advertising). Weight gain in the setting of treated HIV infection is often a tricky problem. Your HIV specialist may have some suggestions of approaches to consider. Exercise, diet, switching HIV meds, growth hormone or growth hormone releasing factor, and some diabetic drugs are helpful for some patients and are being studied for the problem you describe.KH

dental job
Combivir and sustiva