switching combivir for truvada

I was diagnosed in April 2003 and have been on Sustiva/Combivir ever since - good labs, good tolerance & no detrimental side effects of any kind. My doc has suggested switching to Truvada, mainly for the ease of a once a day pill. I'm reluctant to mess with a good thing. What's your opinion? - thanks

I often encourage patients to switch from one regimen that is working to another one if there is an advantage to the regimen under consideration. Once a day therapy is preferred by many patients so that is a common switch option that generally works well for patients. Switching off AZT (part of Combivir)may decrease future risk for mitochondrial toxicity which could be manifested as fat loss for example. KH

MRSA and HIV
dental job