Follow to Dr. Henry of question Begining Facial Fat Loss on April 6

Dr. Henry, Thanks so much for your response and suggestions of your possibly switches. Just for me to be clear, would you keep the Sustiva if I did switch to Truvada(Viread + FtF/Emtriva). Or another poss. switch Sustiva plus the other option you mentioned as Epzicome(abacavir+3TC). Which combination do you personally prefer?

Enclosed below is what I wrote you and your response back on Aril 6. (Beggining Facial Fat Loss Apr 6, 2006 I have been pos. since 1997', currently on Combivir, Viread and Sustiva. I'm beggining to have one side of my face losing fat, my doctor suggest to possibly switch to Viread and Emtriva(he says the AZT might be cause of problem in Combivir). I am concerned, what do you think. Emtiva seems to have lots of liver trouble, lactic acidosis and hepatic trouble. Do have any suggestions and/or better possible switch ideas I can go to so I can discuss with my doctor. Thanks so much.

Switching off the AZT (part of combivir) is one option to consider. Emtriva (FTC) is fairly similar to the 3TC in combivir so stopping Combivir (AZT + 3TC) and switching to Truvada (tenfovir + FTF/Emtriva) is one possible switch. Another one is substitute abacavir for the AZT (I add it for 8 weeks as Ziagen and if not problems then D/C the Combivir and substitute Epzicome which is abacavir+ 3TC). KH

There is little evidence suggesting that switching off Sustiva will improve fat loss on the face. Thus, my prior response focused on switch options involving the NRTI components of your regimen (while staying on Sustiva). Sorry I wasn't more clear. KH

sideeffects
CCR5 antibody by genetek