rash-nevarapine

Dr

I am from South Africa and my problem is that I have a bad rash, slightly raised, red, itchy and hot. I started taking treatment in May 2005 and it was not the originals but rather substitutions (just forgotten name used)then after 6 months used originals then the rach appeared after just 4 weeks. i went back to the substitution of originals but still the rash is still there and itsvery uncomfortable. I am using antihistamine and sometimes it helps but sometimes it does not. Please help how can i treat it.

It would be unusual but still posible to have a serious nevirapine -related rash develop 10 months after starting it. If possible you should have your HIV doc/clinic evaluate you to make sure your liver is OK and to evaluate whether another there is likely another cause of the rash besides one of the HIV drugs. HIV+ persons can develop a wide range of skin problems so trying to more precisely identify the cause is important for your long term HIV treatment. The treatment for skin rashes is dependent on the cause so a more definitive diagnosis is key. KH

Beggining Facial Fat Loss
Shoulder replacement surgery in HIV+ male 56 years old