Chronic Diarrhea

I have had chronic diarrhea for 4 months now. Nothing in my diet has changed, I went off dairy for 4 days, and off my Truvada/Sustiva for 6 days with no change. I had a colonoscopy and everything looks fine. I just realized that when the diarrhea started was also the time that I started taking my Truvada and Sustiva at the same time, instead of one in the morning and the orther before bed. Could this be the cause? If so and I go back to the morning/night schedule, how long before the diarrhea will go away?

Stopping Sustiva at the same time as your other HIV medications runs a significant risk for the development of resistance to Sustiva so one has to be very careful (involve your HIV specialist) when that is done. I assume you have been checked for infections (including parasites, C difficile), gluten enteropathy, hyperthyroidism?? Generally if one has diarrhea from Tuvada/Sustiva (often the tenofovir component) switching the timing around won't help much in my experience. If the diarrhea is mild it often canbe managed with calcium supplement, increased fiber, immodium or lomotil or other interventions. If the diarrhea is due to a drug (such a tenfovir) it usually would improve over 7-14 days. KH

the pill
PEP treatment