Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Testing & Falses HIV Testing
Apr 4, 2006

This past week I went in for my annual blood HIV testing because my spouse has HIV. My initial HIV test this week returned with an abnormal result which inspired that lab to test with the additional Western Blot exam. This too returned inconclusive. They said that there was light banding on two of the protein indicators, but not all were present nor was this test showing a conclusive response. I was told to return next week for further repeat testing and for the additional viral load blood test. My question is: For those of us who are in a relationship with someone who is HIV positive are we more likely to acquire a false positive HIV test because of low viral exposure or naturally killed viral exposure? Could our own immune systems be picking up immune responses from out significant other through casual contact? Have there been any studies with serodiscordent couples showing any immune response or echoing immune response to their spouse's infection. I know I may be desperately grasping at straws in hopes that I have not acquired this infection, but I thought I would ask the experts if this was a significant probability. One would think that if there were naturally killed virus proteins in our spouse's mucous then the negative partner may come in contact with this material though kissing and hence over time may begin to show immune responses against these killed proteins in our own immune systems. This may eventually show up as a false positive HIV result. Maybe the viral load testing should be done initially with any serodiscordant negative spouse to rule out any false positive tests initially and to prevent unnecessary anxiety regarding these false positive results. Anyhow, it has made for an anxious Thanksgiving weekend. I will see next week if anything else shows up in my blood-work.

Response from Dr. Conway

The pattern of testing that you describe (with a positive screening antibody ELISA and an indeterminate Western blot confirmatory test) may be the prelude to a full antibody response and needs to be followed up quickly. We would do a viral load and a CD4 test to see if this is acute HIV infection, as some people (including our own group) believe that intervention at that early time may help control the infection in the long term. This is why it is most important to make the diagnosis with certainty as soon as possible.

If the Western blot test remains indeterminate, then it may well represent the fact that you have developed some immune response to HIV through repeated expsoure but have avoided infection to date. This is certainly described in the past and may help you continue to avoid infection in the future, but it is difficult to be sure about this.

I wish you clarity of mind and all the support you need in facing this important time in your life.

Previous
Discordant Couple2
Next
Red Spot on Butt

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.