ECSTACY

25 yr old, HIV positive and enjoy the odd night on the town (1 per month) after taking a few (1.5 - 2 at most) ecstacy (MDMA) tablets. When I do I tend to get exceptionally dehydrated and a rash develops on my torso. My CD4 count stays the same at 450 - 550 but VL seems to always spike a week later. Am on Sustiva / Truvada and varying PI's. Should I be worried that the MDMA is or could be causing resistance? What are the other potential side effects of this combo? Is it deadly? What do you think doc?

MDMA has been associated with a mall number of life threatening cases of cardiac toxicity and high fevers (incuding some deaths). Use of ecstacy has been linked to increased levels of unsafe sex which can result in transmission of an drug resistant strain of HIV to a person doing well on HIV medication. I am unaware of a documented drug interaction between your HIV meds and MDMA (if anyone is aware of a published report please post). KH

uridine/aquamed/sculptra
Discordant Couple2