Apr 2, 2006
My son and I have been HIV+ for 10 years. His face is starting to have the sunken look, I heard taking him off the medication will bring the child's face fuller again, is this true? Can I make his face look not so bad.
Response from Dr. Henry
Stopping all HIV meds is not recommended. It has not be shown to reverse facial fat loss and immediately results in rebound of HIV replication and loss of CD4 cells and increased risk for clinical events. Switching HIV meds around to ones that are more fat friendly can be helpful in regions of the world where access to HIV meds is good (ie switch to abacavir or tenofovir from AZT or D4T). KH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- If You Catch Hiv In Its Early Stages Can It Be Cured?
- Will Genital Warts Eventually Go Away And Not Flare Up Again?
- What's The Difference Between Vaginosis And Vaginitis?
- What Are The Chances Of Transmitting Chlamydia After One Time?
- What Are The Chances Of Spreading Herpes With No Symptoms?
- Symptoms Of Herpes In The Vagina
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.