The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I have a yellow fever innoculation
Mar 28, 2006

I am traveling to Kenya on holiday in late June/July. The visa for Kenya seems to indicate that a yellow fever innoculation is required. My CD4 as of yesterday was 450 with an undetectable viral load. I had PCP two years ago for which I take Dapsone. Last year I had Videx related pancreatitis, which reversed with a change in medications. My liver tests with ferritin at 600, but is otherwise normal; the doctors suspect I may have hereditary hemochromotosis. My thyroid functions are low.

Response from Dr. Henry

Good question. Persons who remain immunocompromised due to HIV should not receive yellow fever vaccination since it is a live virus. If a person is asymptomatic with a good CD4 count then yellow fever vaccination is generally OK if potential exposure to yellow fever can not be avoided. Your case in in the gray zone since you had severe immune compromise and have subsequently recovered so it is hard to make a firm recommendation. If your route in Kenya includes clear risk for mosquito exposures then many would opt for vaccination. A waiver can be requested if otherwise the decision is made not to vaccinate. There are cases reported in the literature of vaccination without apparent problems. A case of fatal encephalitis has been reported after vaccination in a patient with severe HIV related immune compromise that was not recognized prior to the vacccination. KH

Amino Acids and AIDS meds
Tranmission of resistant strain to HAART

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint