Medication reaction with amino acid supplements

After about a year of taking weight lifting supplements, I figured out some "problems" I had were related to something in these supplements and the meds I take. Well, a safe presumption.

I am on Reyataz, Viread, 3TC, Norvir. Very well tolerated.

The supplements I had taken contain protein, and various other amino acids. My symptoms manifested in extreme fatigue, confusion, etc.

I stopped taking the supplements and those symptoms went away - it was a process of elimination.

My question to you, is have you any understanding of any substances (amino acids, et al) that would be dangerously elevated with the above medications. I am guessing the metabolic routes of these supplementations were similar to the drugs, or there was some other unknown (to me) reaction taking place.

A word to the wise out there, be very careful about supplements when mixing with HIV medication.

Thank you.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I would agree that one has to be generally cautious and on guard for unexpected drug interactions when on antiretroviral therapy. I am not aware of specific problems that have been reported when using protease inhibitors and amino acid supplements though the topic has not been well studied. If any reader is aware of a reference please post! KH

change in v/l
Is there any way to get life insurance for HIV'ers