HPV & HIV

I am 33, male, HIV+ with a CD4 of 200. I am on Truvada & Sustiva. I recently had an outbreak of warts on my knee which my GP froze off but they came back smaller and in many more numbers.

Is this due to my weakening immune system being unable to cope with the HPV in my body - this is what my GP says. He also says that I should keep going back to re freeze them. Isn't there a better alternative?

I have been offered a job in Portland Maine where it is much colder than in Dallas where I am currently. Will the colder weather provide a better environment for the warts to stop growing?

Finally, and this is just a trivial question - do more people die from AIDS in colder nations than in warmer nations theoretically if you were to negate income, access to resources etc because the cold causes more life threatening OI's like PCP?

Thank you Dr Henry.

Warts are often recurrent and a challenge even in HIV- persons. They often seem somewhat more likely to recur in HIV+ patients. Increasing CD4 count resulting from antiretroviral therapy may help matters some. Outcome of HIV treatment is the same in warm or cold climates so that should not be a factor in your job decision. On the other hand finding an experienced and caring HIV specialist and clinic can make a difference so you may want to research what is available in Maine by contacting local AIDS service organizations and getting some advice/references regarding recommended docs/clinics. KH

Swollen Lymph Nodes and Thorasic Outlet Syndrome and BEXTRA scan
Elevated Billirubin & Reyataz