Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Swollen Lymph Nodes and Thorasic Outlet Syndrome and BEXTRA scan
Mar 21, 2006

HIV + 20 years, HAART for 10 years of varying degrees. Currently on Reyataz/Saquinavir Epivir, Viread and Acyclovir. Feel GREAT! After two years of severe arm and hand pain, numbness and tingling, thought to have been brought on by a repetitive motion injury, I have recently had two surgeries in an attempt to resolve. The surgeries, micro-discectomy or disc decompression at C5/C6/C7 L and R, no fusion. Symptoms have improved but not totally resolved. I have never been comfortable that the true source of the problem was ever identified. During the diagnosis process, I had an MRI which revealed multiple swollen lymph nodes in my neck and mandible. Biopsy showed no cancer. At the time, the nodes were not visible but lately I have had two episodes where the nodes have swollen dramtically to the size of golf balls and figuring out why has now become a focus. First time, they responded quickly to Augmentin. I haven't yet been treated for the recent episode. Also, in the past few years, I have noticed that even though I am VERY fit, body fat of 7%, my head/face appears heavy almost slightly distorted to me, especially in the neck area, even the back of my neck (not buffalo hump area, closer to the ears). My question is, could it be that these swollen lymph nodes are causing the nerve compression that lead to the pain in my arms and swollen head all along? Btw, I am not trying to get one over on my neurosurgeon; I know that I have received a very high level of care from him and my PCP, but even with the the advances in MRI and CT scan technology, diagnosing nerve pain is not an easy thing to do. I wonder if I should invest in a BEXTRA scan to determine exactly what it is that is making my face appear larger. I understand this scan will differentiate between bone, fat and other tissues in the body to determine a precise composition. Do you know of it?

Response from Dr. Henry

I am not familiar with a BEXTRA scan. Dexa scans are used to look at the relative distribution of body fat and bone density. Physical examination, careful history taking, nerve conduction studies and EMGs are among the evaluations used to assess the degree of nerve damage and possible site of the problem. KH

Previous
breast tenderness from High blood pressure pills?
Next
HPV & HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.