Discolored Fingernails

I have a young African American male patient who has been on Combivir and Sustiva for a little over 2 months. The CNS side effects are minimal. His greatest concern is that his fingernails are turning very dark, almost black. I couldn't find any specific references to this in any of the literature. Someone told him it was the Combivir. Which medication is causing this and if he is switched, will it resolve? Thank you, TM

AZT (part of the Combivir) can results in hyperpigmentation of nails in some African American patients. Often switching off the AZT (ie to abacavir or tenofovir) may result in slow resolution of the discoloration. I sometimes get other helpful suggestions from dermatology referral. KH

Yellowing of the eyes with Norvir, Reyataz, and Truvada
Swollen Lymph Nodes - sub mandible