Yellowing of the eyes with Norvir, Reyataz, and Truvada

I recently started on 100mg Norvir, 300 mg Reyataz, and Truvada. I have tolerated it well. I have noticed, though that I have had a yellowing of the eyes, which seems to come and go and vary in intensity. I had a few questions regarding this since my doctor rushed me out of the appointment too fast. 1. Will this go away eventually? I care deal with it since I am tolerating so much better than my last regimine. 2. Can it get worse? I can deal with how it is now, but I don't want to get too yellow 3. I know it is from increased bilirubin, but is the increased bilirubin harmful? Thank you for your time

To date the increased bilirubin levels seen with Reyataz (unconjugated or indirect bilirubin) have not been linked to actual liver damage/disease. The situation is similar to what is seen in Gilbert's syndrome which is a generally benign condition. The levels can rise and fall modestly depending on hydration status and other variables but generally don't change to a great extent after several months in my experience. Perhaps 3-5% of patients develop levels high enough (yellow jaundice) that they consider swiching to an alternative regimen (often there are multiple option). I have a dozen or so patients with moderately pronounced jaundice (yellowing of the sclera of the eyes and skin) who otherwise like the drug so have been willing to continue the drug with monitoring. KH

HIV, HepC & now Diabetes
Discolored Fingernails