Developing a belly

HI. I am a male who has been positive for around 20 years. I have been on Tenofovir,Tipranavir,Norvir and Fuzeon for around 2 1/2 years. Lately, I have noticed that I am starting to develop a belly. I have never been able to put on weight. Could this be connected in any way to any one or a combination of the meds?

There isn't much ipublished nformation or experience withyour current HIV regimen and issues related to lipodystrophy. Generally tenofovir and Fuzeon have not been associated with much in the way of fat gain/loss. Protease inhibitors boosted with ritonavir have been linked to fat gain but the issue is complicated by the fact that studies comparing HIV+ persons to HIV- persons (matched by age) have shown comparable amounts of fat gain in the abdominal area. Age, hormone status, time with HIV infection, degree of immune recovery and other factors may play a role as well so it is tough to nail down if any particular component of your current regimen is the main culprit. In cases where there is some HIV resistance therapeutic options (such as switching meds around) are often limited. Your HIV specialist who knows your treatment history is generally the best person to assess what could be contributing to the increasing belly size (if fat is being lost from surrounding areas often makes the belly look bigger). KH

Not really a question...
HIV, HepC & now Diabetes