antibiotic concern

I am generally healthy, and I have not needed to take any meds for hiv. I recently got an infection from a cold, and my doctor prescribed me with sulfameth trimethoprim (bacrim). I have taken antibiotics my whole life, but have always felt a bit nervous about them. I am more nervous now (since I now know I am positive) because I feel they will harm my immune system. Do anitbiotics harm the immune system? Sulfameth Trimethoprim is used on AIDS patients, that scares me.

Sulfameth/Tremethoprim (often called Bactri/Septra/or TMP/SMX) doesn't generally harm the immune system. A small percentage of HIV+ person have a hypersensitivity to TMP/SMX at a higher rate then seen in the general population for unclear reasons. For that reason I often don't use TMP/SMX as a general antibiotic in HIV+ persons (reserve it for AIDS patients to prevent Pneumocystis pneumonia and other infections) though it does get widely used (both in HIV+ patients and HIV- patients). It is a good and inexpensive antibiotic for many types of bacterial infections. KH

What to make of promising study of CSA 54?
So confused about this information