Newly diagnosed and new job

I was diagnosed 2-10 of this year and my cd4 count was 320, 16%. I will hopefully be put on a drug regimen of Sustiva and something else (I forget) assuming my tests are neg for parasites, tb, hep, etc. That won't be until 4-17. I was going to move out of state and to a new climate to look for a job in NY before this diagnosis. Is it wise to get a new job right before I start taking these drugs (side effects, etc)? Will this move further compomise my immune system? I feel like I can't put my life on hold unless absolutely necessary but I don't want to end up sick either. Thanks!!

Good question. I would rely on the advice of your HIV specialist. If your CD4 count is stable and you are doing well clinically then delaying initiation of antiretroviral therapy until you move and are connected with a new provider and insurance may make sense. For many patients delaying therapy for 3-6 months until other issues (non-HIV health concerns, job, housing et cetera) are more settled is reasonable. Starting a new job at the same time as starting your first HIV regimen often will work out OK though if you have a high level of side effects that could throw off your job performance that could be a problem so frequently efforts are made to work around that situation. KH

Switching from 3TC &D4T to Combivir 2
Bio-alcamid