rash...

I was diagnosed with HIV in Sept 05. I began treatment in Nov 05 with Reyataz and Kivexa(Epzicom) and am currently undetectable and doing great. But for the past few years I have been developing an erratic rash that appears on my face and scalp. I assume it began around the time i was infected with HIV...the numbers seem to coincide. It develops with a few spots that that continue to grow into patches that itch and burn on either side of my nose and forehead, with a few spots on my scalp as well. The rash lasts a week or so and disappears only to return a week or so later. As I said, this has been the routine for a couple of years now and is clearly not because of my meds, but could it be because of my virus? Food allergy? Both? My doctor is not sure and we have tried every combination of creams available. I have visited a dermatologist and can find no obvious cause. Is there anything you can suggest, or advice you can give?

Often skin conditions such as yours are difficult to precisely diagnose and treat.I assume that seborrhea has been considered as a possible contributing condition? That is common in HIV+ patients in the locations you describe. Often use of an antifungal cream/shampoo on a regular basis (such as ketoconazole) helps some patients. Sometimes an oral antifungal med for several weeks may be tried on an empiric basis. For many patients effective control of HIV lessons the skin problems they have but that is not always true (as your situation suggests). KH

Severe cramps, diarhea and nausa
what is the drug of choice for CMV resistant to gancyclovir?