Vains, Vains and Concern

Hi doc: I have been positive for 6+ years and pretty much have never had any serious side effects other than the runs for this whole time period. My doc has told me many times that after a few years on meds if you see no metabollic effects, generally you most likely won't. Suddenly now on Kaletra, Virread and Epzicom for about 2.5 years I am noticing vainy legs, vainy arms, and a difference in the texture of the skin on my face and around my cheeks.. Am I now going to expect this to escalate until I look like those people who you can tell they take antivirals? I have always been very active, workout and take pride in my appearence. Is there any hope for me to have this stop where it is or does once it begin then it never stops?? Please help J- 32 NYC

There is not much information detailing the extent of fat loss over the long term associated with HIV regimens not containing a thymidine NRTI (AZT or D4T). Generally fat loss has been minimal in regimens without AZT or D4T but I don't believe we have enough data from clinical experience or long term studies to feel sure that fat loss may not be seen in regimens such as yours though perhaps fat loss could occur more slowly and later then with D4T or AZT containing regimens. Stopping all NRTIs (NRTI sparing regimens) or use of uridine supplements are being evaluated for increasing subcutaneous fat thought data is very limited. The topic is very important and is getting lots of attention so I expect our understanding will improve and treatment options will get better in the future. KH

Rash after Reyataz 2
Stocrin & combivir