Kaletra & Invirase & Lipoatrophy

I've been positive for 19 years. No OIs and t-cell counts always in the 600-900 range. Very happy about that. In the last 6 mos. I've begun to rapidly lose fat in my face, arms and legs. In Feb of 2006 my doctor switched me to this regimen from Trizivir (alone). Could these 2 meds be the cause of the rapid fat loss? I know it's hard to know definitely. Like most guys this is the hardest thing for me. It's like wearing the scarlet letter and certainly affects my self-esteem. Thanks.

It is hard to say for sure but generally fat loss has been more linked to use of AZT (part of the trizivir) than to protease inhibitors. I have some patients on double proteases inhibitors in an effort to avoid use of nukes altogether to try and spare and possibly reverse fat loss. Success with that approach has been variable in my own experience. Fat gain can be very slow to occur. Fat loss remains difficult to treat. Uridine supplements are under study as are some oral diabetic meds. KH

Nu Fill
Toxicity of Cocktail