HIV 1 and 2 test done.

Hi Dr. Conway, I got tested for both HIV 1 and HIV 2 here in the US, regular ELISA test, after two years of exposure. The result came out to be negative for both the tests, do I need to worry about any rare strain? Will these standard Elisa tests, that are done here in the United States pick up all the types of strains or do I need any more testing. Please advise.

Response from Dr. Conway

The current tests are very reliable for all worldwide strains, so I would very much trust the result. This is especially true if the tests remain negative so long after the period of exposure, where the possibility of acute or early HIV infection (where it would be too early to be sure you would have developed antibodies)is excluded.

Positive/negative safe sex
Translation to Spanish